Friday, April 20, 2007

The National Pot Palladium Rose Bowl Run

When I read earlier this week that the Mann National in Westwood was set to close, I considered going out there one more time to see a movie. I didn't realize that it was going to close so soon. The National's last show was the 10:10 showing of Shooter. I missed it.

I'm hoping that another theater chain will pick up the lease on the National, but I doubt it. Single screen theaters are a thing of the past. I doubt Shooter has been packing it in at the National the last couple of weeks. It would be great if someone with a love for films can pick up the lease and show a different classic film every week. That's very unlikely, though.

So long, National. We'll always have Saving Private Ryan.

* * * * *


I received a mysterious text message this evening from a number I couldnt't recognize asking me if I was going to "do 420 right" tomorrow. I figured out who the text was from later. It was sent by the old co-worker I ran into last week--the one who was fired for e-mailing nude modeling photos of himself using his work e-mail.

Well, I'm going to risk looking like a big square by saying this, but I have never smoked marijuana, unless you count second hand smoke. I've never done any illicit drugs of any sort, and I'm really not that curious. I figure I don't miss it, so why bother? Besides, life is cheaper that way and I would have no idea where to go to buy some.

Now I'm 30. Way too old to try it for the first time. I've passed the allowable age for beginners. The next window won't open until I'm in my 60s and suffering from glaucoma or cancer.

* * * * *


I've neglected to mention this last week, but I'm delighted that LiveNation will be renovating the Hollywood Palladium. Driving by it the last few years, it looked so forlorn and I wondered when it will be eventually destroyed. So the news of LiveNation's agreement comes as a sweet surprise. I can't wait to go there for shows when it reopens.

I suppose this week is a wash in terms of old entertainment venues. The National closes and the Palladium gets a new lease on life.

* * * * *


I ran again today at the Rose Bowl. 3.5 miles, I think, in a little over 30 minutes. The legs felt great and I only took one walk break. My left calf still feels tight. It tightened on me last month during the marathon, and it felt tight during a couple of other runs since then. I thought the layoff would do it some good, but I was wrong. Maybe a massage would help?

I also went to my Thursday yoga class for the first time in six weeks. The knee held up well, but I am still being careful with it, but it's good to be back.

No comments: