Saturday, April 21, 2007

Song of the Week: "All My Friends"



Download: LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"

LCD Soundsystem's new album, Sound of Silver, is excellent, and just about everyone agrees. The only problem I have with it is that one song in particular is so damn great that I have a hard time getting past it to listen to the other songs. "All My Friends" is a candidate for Song of 2007 for me, and it shows no sign of flagging. It's on repeat in my car, and I inevitably click to it on iTunes while on the computer.

What's so good about it?

Well, the random-sounding piano that repeats throughout would annoy most but it shows off James Murphy's brilliance by building on it, drums kick in, the bass and guitars come in a little later, and then the vocals emerge a minute and a half into the song, so that the song never sounds boring. Even at seven and a half minutes it never wears out its welcome. It can go on for fourteen minutes and I'd be happy.

That alone wouldn't make it a contender for song of the year, but once you throw in the song's theme, which resonates deeply with many an aging hipster and "All My Friends" quickly becomes a classic anthem. Essentially it's a sequel of sorts to "Losing My Edge," but the wry sarcasm of that song gives way to reflection of the good rough times of days gone by. The song is not of regret. While the narrator certainly misses his frenzied days of youth and "wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life," he's also acknowledging the future. The good times can't endure.

I used to think the song was about enduring friendship, but now I'm not so sure. Ultimately it's about change, sometimes rough, often unwelcome, rarely for the better, but there it is anyway.

No comments: